Dipley Mill served as a working flour mill, one of six on the River Whitewater, until it’s conversion into a country house in 1927.
The mill is listed on the Doomsday Book as part of the estate of ‘Alfsi, son of Brictsi’ and is packed with history. The mill became so successful during the 19th century that a second wheel was introduced although it was soon discovered that the two working in tandem caused the entire building to shake!
The original granite grindstones can be found set in to the paving at the front of the house, from the front, the original road from Mattingley ran past the front door, which enabled cars to be loaded directly with sacks of flour, carefully hoisted using cranes on the top floor.
The shop-fronted building next door was the original bakery for the mill and later became the notorious Old Mill inn, meaning Dipley Mill would be buzzing with life.
Both the house and gardens have undergone complete renovation since 2000 to ensure this special piece of social and natural history is preserved.